Tracking the internet protocol address, or IP address for short is how websites determine the location of their visitors. Well to be honest, they don’t really know the IP address of the physical machine, but that of the wi-fi or broadband router instead. However, they mostly care about determining the source of their traffic, so it fits their purpose.
How to find your IP address?
Before someone answers the question, “What’s my IP?” they need to first decide whether they want to find the physical IP address of the computer they are using or whether they want to see the IP address that external websites use to determine their location, which as stated earlier, is the IP address of their router.
How to find the IP address of your internet router?
This is really simple. There are several websites on the internet where they display the external IP address as soon as someone visits their website. Out of the myriad of options, fipe is highly recommended because besides the IP address, it also displays some associated information with a very high level of accuracy.
How to find the IP address of your computer?
Every computer has a local or a private IP address, irrespective of whether it is connecting to the router via Wi-Fi or a LAN cable. If there are multiple systems connecting to the same router, it may create IP address conflicts in rare circumstances. Knowing a computer’s local IP can be very helpful in resolving such scenarios.
Finding the internal IP in such instances would depend upon whether someone is using a Windows, MAC or a Linux operating system.
How to find the IP address in a Windows Operating System?
The internal IP of a computer running Windows OS can be determined via the following steps.
- Press the Windows button and the letter r at the same time. It opens the “Run” window.
- Type “cmd” into the run window and press enter. This opens the command prompt.
- In the command prompt, type in “ipconfig” and press enter. It lists a significant amount of information, most of which is not very useful for the average user.
- Scroll all the way to the top. Your computer’s IP address is displayed right next to the “IPv4 Address” field.
How to find the IP address in a MAC Operating System?
The following steps needs to be followed to find the IP address in a MAC OS environment.
- Initiate the terminal program. The terminal program is located in the Applications folder, which in turn exists inside the Utilities folder.
- Type in “ipconfig” into the program and the system will return its IP address.
How do I find the IP address in a Linux Operating System?
In the Linux OS, simply type in “ipconfig” on any of the screens and you will then see the system’s IP address.
Latest posts by Deepanshu (see all)
- Could Your Internet Experiences Be Better? - October 8, 2021
- How to Permanently Delete Photos from Memory Card? - August 16, 2021
- 3 Tips for a Better Gaming Experience Each Time Out - July 29, 2021